Re: Book questions

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 15:51:24 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/04/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
> > Now that you mention security, that leads me to another question -
> > are there any good books on writing secure programs? I would guess
> > that would be a good thing to think about from the start, as to
> > learn good practices?
>
> I believe that this is where it gets into the realm of "How long is a
> piece of string?".

:-)

> >From my understanding, security is always relative, and, never
> absolute - whether something can be breached, whether it is a building
> or a software program, depends on the skill and persistence of the
> person trying to do the breaching, and, importantly, luck.
>
> It is like the principle "Just when you think that you have produced
> an idiot-proof program, they design a more effective idiot".

Of course. Let me rephrase: are there any good books on _current best
practices_ to enhance security in code - in particular as it applies
to C?

I understand that security is a very complex topic, but I am interested
in learning how to write good, solid code, and security is part of that.

> I believe that, similarly, the best way to learn good programming
> practices, is to take courses at different educational institutions,

Unfortunately, that is not an option for me. Books and online guides
will have to do.

> > Another thing - I have been thinking about also learning Python, for
> > instance for interacting with GTK, and for writing things that
> > might be hard to do in C. Would that be a good choice, or should I
> > look at any other languages before I start?
>
> I am definitely no expert in this, and, others could advise regarding
> this, much better than me, but, my understanding is that, for what you
> seek, Perl appears to be the answer, as it apparently includes "the
> good parts" of various programming languages, including "C", and, is
> cross-platform portable, and is supposed to be very versatile.

OK, thank you, I will definitely consider Perl also, as I already know
a little and have a few books on it.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"