Re: firefox-37, where to put

On Friday 03 April 2015 03:47:11 Reco wrote:
>  Hi.
>
> On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 03:16:15 -0400
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 03 April 2015 02:22:52 Reco wrote:
> > >  Hi.

> > > So, um, don't use this image, or something? The real debian
> > > installer lives here anyway:
> >
> > That install media installs a special RTAI patched 2.6.32 kernel,
> > patched to do close to microsecond accurate realtime control over
> > lathes and milling machines and other such machining centers with as
> > many as 9 axis's to control. Even stopping some of these machines in
> > the event of an error can take several milliseconds, but must be
> > done as quickly as possible, it might be a human getting chewed up.
> > One over in Cincinnati even gets recorded on the uni's seizmograph
> > when it does an emergency stop.  The work table itself is 26 feet
> > long and weighs IIRC 44,000 lbs. Heap big fellow IOW.
> >
> > My stuff is hobby sized & less than 250 lbs, but the principles are
> > the same.  Precise control if you want the work to be done
> > precisely.
>
> Don't blame Debian installer then. I suspect those RTAI guys didn't
> stop at replacing kernel ;)

Not that they'll admit to.  The RTAI guys only publish the patch, its
difficult to apply & get configured right, and when they do get one that
works, its pinned.  The LCNC guys are the ones doing the patching, and
if Paola M. even knows were using his patches, we are just a murmer in
the background. They've made quite a few attempts to make RTAI patches
and PAE play well but PAE hasn't worked yet, it still sees and uses only
3G of the 8G in this machine.  With all the stuff running here that is
not running on one of the real machines out in the shop, its doomed to
need a swapoff, swapon cycle a couple times a day.  The atom based
machines with 2G in them, have no such problems.  They can run from
power failure to power failure, very stable.

> > > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-amd64/cur
> > >rent /images/
> >
> > I'll get that when the new drives arrive.
> >
> > > Besides, nobody forbids you to create a separate filesystem for
> > > /home after the install.
> >
> > I assume only by mounting a new drive at some temporary location,
> > copying all the installed data from /home to it, then fixing fstab
> > to mount that drive on top of the existing /home directory?  I have
> > done that in the past, but not in the last half decade as drives are
> > outrageously big now.
>
> More-or-less yes. You forgot to mention emptying old home, but all
> needed stuff is there.
>
> > This also I think assumes the use of a LABEL=wheezyhome or some
> > such non-confusing name.
>
> That's one way of doing this. You can also use UUID, plain-old device
> names (/dev/sdb1, or something), or /dev/disk/by-id if you want to be
> on the safe side.

Device names are out on this machine as 3 of its drives are in a hot swap
cage.  The device name stays with the slot.  So its best I just search
the rack for the LABEL= when mounting stuff.

But you mentioned cleaning out /home when mounting another partition over
it, but I'd need a tutorial on how to do that since the .home dir, once
the 2nd drive is mounted oin top of it, isn't accessible. FWIW, I've
large boatload of stuff in /opt that I'd like to treat the same way.
Same problem with /opt.  But I figure I'd do that too as it sure would
save days of copying stuff when upodateing an install.

There is one other problem when putting in and running new kernels, true
of any distro.  Wheezy's X is so old that the improvements in the new
kernels nouveau driver are not recognized by X, ditto pulse/alsa, that
if I boot a 3.16.7 kernel, also installed here, the video and audio
performance goes straight in the crapper.  1/4 second of each, half
second frozen for the audio, may go frozen video for 20 seconds, then
play catchup at 5000fps.  A 30 second geico commercial in front of the
news story takes 2+ minutes of wall time to play. I am on the X list,
but questions about what I would have to pull in and build to get that
compatibility back are totally ignored.  So I haven't tried.  Staying
with an older kernel, of an age that somewhat matches the X seems to be
the best alternative.  Hence the 3.2.0-4amd64 currently running.
Multimedia performance is tolerable, staying reasonably well in lipsync.

> Reco

Thanks Reco.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)