Re: firefox-37, where to put

On Friday 03 April 2015 14:29:37 The Wanderer wrote:
> On 04/03/2015 at 02:25 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Friday 03 April 2015 12:32:47 Brian wrote:
> >> 1. Choose 'Manual' on the 'Partition disks' page.
> >>
> >> 2. Choose a disk and hightlight 'FREE SPACE'. Press the ENTER key.
> >>
> >> 3. Create a new partition. ENTER. Specify size. ENTER. Choose
> >> 'Logical'. ENTER. 'Beginning' ENTER.
> >>
> >> 4. Highlight 'Mount point:'. ENTER. Highlight '/home'. ENTER.
> >> Choose 'Done setting up the partition'. ENTER.
> >
> > Humm, it just occured to me that I was defining a gig & small change
> > as /boot first, then /,then /home, then /opt, then the remainder as
> > swap.
>
> No separate /var or /tmp? I thought it was best practice to keep those
> separate, so that logfiles and tmpfiles don't have the chance to fill
> up the root partition.

There is that too. But that is what logrotate is all about, only keep the
last 4 or 5.>
> > Can I infer from this that all other partitions must be defined
> > first and then the last defined partition s/b "/" and that is the
> > only way it will work?  That would put / on an extended partition,
> > but IIRC I had that condition once before, several years back
> > without any excitement.
>
> No, that is not required. I usually define / as the second or third
> out of 4-to-6 partitions, and it always works fine.
>
> > I had always assumed that partitions s/b defined and reserved from
> > the outside in.
>
> From the beginning of the disk, rather, which is presumably the
> outside but not necessarily.

Opticals no.  But I don't know of a hard drive whose cylinder 1 isn't on
the outside.  Perhaps my knowledge of things is dated?

> I generally define partitions in order from "needs fastest access"
> down, but that's a less relevant consideration nowadays than it used
> to be.

I agree since most drives are 100 to 1000 x faster than my first Seagate
st238n was.  I still have some 10 meg tandon mfm's in the basement. :)
About half a minute to read a megabyte, and 2 minutes to write it, but it
was still faster than the 250 kilobaud floppies on that same machine.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)