Re: firefox-37, where to put

On Friday 03 April 2015 02:22:52 Reco wrote:
>  Hi.
>
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 20:37:18 -0400
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I know that it has been said before, but there may be people new
> > > to the list reading this.  I used the same "broken" installer, and
> > > my /home is separate from /.
> > >
> > > Lisi
> >
> > I appreciate that you have done that Lisi, but this hybrid.iso from
> > linuxcnc.org, downloadable from a link right one on the front page,
> > and using the wheezy repos for updates, simply cannot be beaten into
> > submission to do that.
>
> So, um, don't use this image, or something? The real debian installer
> lives here anyway:

That install media installs a special RTAI patched 2.6.32 kernel, patched
to do close to microsecond accurate realtime control over lathes and
milling machines and other such machining centers with as many as 9
axis's to control. Even stopping some of these machines in the event of
an error can take several milliseconds, but must be done as quickly as
possible, it might be a human getting chewed up. One over in Cincinnati
even gets recorded on the uni's seizmograph when it does an emergency
stop.  The work table itself is 26 feet long and weighs IIRC 44,000 lbs.
Heap big fellow IOW.

My stuff is hobby sized & less than 250 lbs, but the principles are the
same.  Precise control if you want the work to be done precisely.

> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-amd64/current
>/images/

I'll get that when the new drives arrive.

> Besides, nobody forbids you to create a separate filesystem for /home
> after the install.

I assume only by mounting a new drive at some temporary location, copying
all the installed data from /home to it, then fixing fstab to mount that
drive on top of the existing /home directory?  I have done that in the
past, but not in the last half decade as drives are outrageously big
now.  This also I think assumes the use of a LABEL=wheezyhome or some
such non-confusing name.  While blkid's are generally good too, I have
actually had the ID string change by having a new drive already in
service that was running on crutches, and a firmware update to fix the
drive foobared its blkid.  That makes me a bit wary of using the blkid's
to mount stuff.
> Reco

Thanks Reco.

Cheers, Gene Heskett