Re: firefox-37, where to put

 Hi.

On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 09:03:38AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > I'll get that when the new drives arrive.

> > > I assume only by mounting a new drive at some temporary location,
> > > copying all the installed data from /home to it, then fixing fstab
> > > to mount that drive on top of the existing /home directory?  I have
> > > done that in the past, but not in the last half decade as drives are
> > > outrageously big now.
> >
> > More-or-less yes. You forgot to mention emptying old home, but all
> > needed stuff is there.
> >
> > > This also I think assumes the use of a LABEL=wheezyhome or some
> > > such non-confusing name.

Sure, you can. According to mke2fs(8) you should limit label length to
16 bytes, but that's plenty IMO.

> > That's one way of doing this. You can also use UUID, plain-old device
> > names (/dev/sdb1, or something), or /dev/disk/by-id if you want to be
> > on the safe side.
>
> Device names are out on this machine as 3 of its drives are in a hot swap
> cage.  The device name stays with the slot.  So its best I just search
> the rack for the LABEL= when mounting stuff.
>
> But you mentioned cleaning out /home when mounting another partition over
> it, but I'd need a tutorial on how to do that since the .home dir, once
> the 2nd drive is mounted oin top of it, isn't accessible.

Lisi put it right. Don't mount a new home on top of an old one. Mount a
filesystem for the new home elsewhere, move all files from old home to
the new one, unmount new home, add a line into fstab, and mount new
home.

Use LiveCD in the case of doubt.

> FWIW, I've
> large boatload of stuff in /opt that I'd like to treat the same way.
> Same problem with /opt.  But I figure I'd do that too as it sure would
> save days of copying stuff when upodateing an install.

The way I see it - if you manage to move /home then you'll learn how to
move /opt. The principle is the same.

Reco