Re: Debian 7 and UEFI/GPT

Quoting Bret Busby (bret.busby@gmail.com):
> On 13/03/2015, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> > Quoting Gajadur Dwijesh (dwijesh1@gmail.com):
> >> Hi.
> >> I got the same problem..
> >> I followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLlOd-a2wG0
> >> and it worked..i could dual boot windows 8.1 with Debian on UEFI mode
> >
> > Interesting. I played this through and at 506 seconds, I saw my first
> > EFI screen. Am I right in thinking that's as "high" up the machine
> > configuration that we saw?
> >
> > In other words, was that screen the equivalent of what I first see
> > when I press F2 on booting, or was it just the equivalent of what I
> > see if I then press the arrow keys to get to the Boot Order or Boot
> > Device Menu screen.
> >
> > Understandably, my wife, who owns the only modern machine in this
> > household, running W8.1, won't let me near her "BIOS" (what do you
> > call it now?) configuration.
> >

> I believe (and, I stand to be corrected) that the configuration part,
> is the Setup Utility, and that the BIOS  as it was (and, can still
> be), and, its superseder, UEFI (that superseded EFI), is invoked by
> the Setup Utility.
>
> When I press <F2>, it enters Setup Mode, which (on a newfangled UEFI
> system) allows the system administrator (a user should definitely not
> be fiddling about in this area :) ) to select, amongst other options,
> either UEFI or "Legacy" BIOS, for booting.

Yes, this was my point. Gajadur Dwijesh said this video would fix your
problem but I couldn't see anything on the top-most screen (at 506s)
about Secure Boot. Everything was EFI this and EFI that, and just worked.
So what good is that to you...

I don't know what brand you have, but I'm hoping it's not one where
they screwed things up, as mentioned on that wiki page. It's something
that's put me off buying a new laptop to replace this old thing.

Cheers,
David.