Re: Installing Jessie on a computer that current has Windows 7 on it - Progress! & Questions?

Quoting Paul E Condon (pecondon@mesanetworks.net):

> I realized that I had not tried dd from VC2 just before entering the
> partitioner section of weekly build (Jessie) installer. It didn't
> allow successful write, so I tried Wheezy 7.7 which had failed before
> the dd write. This time for 7.7, the partition write succeeded, and I
> proceeded to a successfully reboot after install. But the Wheezy that
> it installed was largely useless to me because I use gnome-terminal
> frequently and all the virtual terminal programs had a serious flaw:
> They didn't have a command prompt in the window. While looking for
> some config setting to get a command prompt, I noticed that I had
> actually installed 7.8, which I hadn't known existed. Maybe the
> version conflict could be causing problems. So I downloaded Wheezy 7.8
> CD. tried it, and it had the same flaw. But I realized that I could
> use VC1 to dist-upgrade to Jessie, and sort out the picky details in
> the release that I would like to use in Jessie, and beyond. The
> dist-upgrade went about as well as expected in that the Wheezy install
> had placed both Xfce and Gnome-desktop on the computer. The trick that
> finally allowed a conflict free was to select task-mate-desktop for
> installation.
>
> That allowed the aptitude conflict resolver to let go of all the gnome
> packages that were in conflict with required Xfce packages. Which is
> the whole point of writing the above: Asking for Mate does a world of
> good for this particular dist-upgrade path which is one that we all
> hope a lot of people will be attempting soon. I really don't feel that
> want to be locked into the sequence LTS -> LLTS -> RLLTS -> RRLLTS
> (ReallyReallyLongLongTermSupport ;-) while Debian leaves me in its
> more and more distant past.

Well that's a relief.

> 1) In Xfce, the "Settings->Preferred_Applications->Web_Browser" window
>    offers "Mozilla_Firefox" in its pick list. This might be treatable
>    as a release critical bug. When I do select it, I do actually get
>    Iceweasel, so maybe the problem can be handled by a phone call by
>    our lawyers to Mozilla's lawyers. ;-)

Debian can't distribute a modified Firefox nor its artwork, hence
the rebadging.

> 2) A problem that I really want to fix: The window in which Iceweasel
>    is displayed does not have toolbar across top of the window. ( line
>    containing "File Edit View History ...) There might be some
>    key stoke combination the serves as a substitute, but I have trouble
>    remembering such things. Where is this configured in Xfce? NOT in
>    Settings->"Window_Manager" or "Settings->Window_Manager_Tweeks". I've
>    looked there.

Press Left-Alt and the menu bar will appear. You can also press, say,
Left-Alt-B and get the bookmarks, if you know the appropriate letters,
F, E, V, S, B etc.

Cheers,
David.