Re: Debian 7 and UEFI/GPT

Quoting Bret Busby (bret.busby@gmail.com):
> On 12/03/2015, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 March 2015 16:34:15 David Wright wrote:
> >> Quoting Lisi Reisz (lisi.reisz@gmail.com):

> >> Touché. That just goes to show how much I prefer codenames to
> >> release numbers!
> >
> > I couldn't agree more.  If all of Debian is to be known by numbers as some
> > are
> > suggesting I shall be in a constant muddle. :-(

> No, whilst for some of us find the numbers more meaningful and easier
> to understand, than version names, the discussion in the other thread,
> was, from my understanding, redefining the state names, rather than
> the version names.

I believe it was, if you mean the bug tracker.

But in the other thread on this list, you posted a system of version
numbers for referring to older versions. Why make people have to
remember a parallel version numbering system when there is already a
unique name?

A Debian version gets a codename long before it gets a number, even
before it exists (like buster), and that name never changes. It only
gets a number when it's released; in fact, it gets several: wheezy has
nine so far.

Cheers,
David.