Re: My Friends Make Fun of My UI

Quoting ken (gebser@mousecar.com):

> A couple decades ago our LUG had a meeting in which people showed
> off their favorite window managers.  The only one I still remember
> the name of is Enlightenment and I believe it's still around.

Yes, as is the one I use, fvwm, which is considerably older.

> Do you know about viewports?  That by itself is cool and comes with
> gnome.  IIRC (reading about X from long ago), this allows you to
> have four billion "desktops" running on the same X instance.

Yes, I typically have twenty, and have had since 1996 when I started
using it. Back then my monitor had much lower resolution so the
viewports were oversized so they moved when the mouse tried to pass
the edge. The graphics card had fewer colours too, so for example
Netscape had a private colour map. As the mouse entered/left the
browser window, all the colours would change.

> If you've got the hardware, you could have more than one monitor--
> two or three or dozens of them-- all running off the same machine.
> Lots of configuration options here too.

Yes, fvwm did that too back in the 20th century (with two graphics
cards; I couldn't afford a double-headed card---what was it---the
Matrox Millennium).

But I'm still waiting for someone to convince me to use a DE instead
of my old WM. (Typing those two letters makes me think of twm, olwm
and such...)

Cheers,
David.