Re: unmet dependencies: libcurl4-openssl-dev

Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
> Emacs24.4 is working for me.  What fails to install was the swirl
> package in R which needed Lcurl or libcurl which needed the ssl
> libs. From yours and Brian's research it seems that the backports
> install of Emacs messes with R package installation.

You say "messes with" but I say installs later versions of backported
packages.  Which is exactly what you want but was confusing when it
wasn't known what was happening.

> Looks like I'll pass the backports install of libcurl4 if it almost
> installs all the base packages, sort of.  Besides, I'll move to Jessie
> when it's declared stable or the moment I see the kde iso available on
> the web.

Why?  Now that we understand that it was dependencies that were pulled
in for emacs the answer is easy.  Simply install it using backports to
backfill the dependencies.

  apt-get -t wheezy-backports install r-base

Where r-base is whatever you would normally install.  I am not an R
person so don't know the packages that are needed.  That will work
fine.

  https://wiki.debian.org/R

Bob