Re: Wheezy is installed

On Wednesday 21 January 2015 06:53:33 Darac Marjal did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 06:17:06PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > Along with around 1300 other pkgs because I like kde yadda yadda.
> >
> > First question:  Does it take a reboot before you can select kdm at
> > login? I did 2 or 3 logouts & back in without being presented with a
> > choice.
>
> If you want KDM, you need to "dpkg-reconfigure kdm" to make sure it's
> the preferred desktop-manager (you can only have one active at a time,
> even if others are uninstalled), then you need to stop the previous
> desktop-manager (service somedm stop) and start kdm (service kdm
> start). Be aware that stopping the old desktop-manager will kill your
> X session.
>
> If you just want to be able to login to KDE, most desktop managers can
> do that (that is, you don't NEED KDM for KDE; you may prefer it,
> though. YMMV). Once you have entered your username, before you enter
> your password, look for a session selection widget. In some DMs it'll
> be obvious, in some, you need to click your username or perhaps a cog
> or head icon. Once you've found it, select KDE as your desktop and
> THEN enter your password. Your selection *should* be remembered.
>
> > 2nd question: Since I am used to 10 workspaces, where is the
> > workspace creator?
> >
> > 3rd question, that speech synth is driving me nuts, so how do I shut
> > that thing off?
> >
> > There is no doubt more, but I'm back on Lucid ATM.
> >
> > Thanks folks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

It self-destructed when I tried to fix the miss-aligned partitions the you
cannot bypass it partitioner created out of whole cloth.  That was the 2nd
wheezy install that blew up.  Expert mode or not, there simply is no way
to make it use the existing, correctly aligned disk.  If there is a way,
please advise.

So I am back on Lucid LTS TFN.  But its running out of support time.

Thanks Darac.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)