Re: Wheezy is installed

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 06:17:06PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> Along with around 1300 other pkgs because I like kde yadda yadda.
>
> First question:  Does it take a reboot before you can select kdm at login?
> I did 2 or 3 logouts & back in without being presented with a choice.

If you want KDM, you need to "dpkg-reconfigure kdm" to make sure it's
the preferred desktop-manager (you can only have one active at a time,
even if others are uninstalled), then you need to stop the previous
desktop-manager (service somedm stop) and start kdm (service kdm start).
Be aware that stopping the old desktop-manager will kill your X session.

If you just want to be able to login to KDE, most desktop managers can
do that (that is, you don't NEED KDM for KDE; you may prefer it, though.
YMMV). Once you have entered your username, before you enter your
password, look for a session selection widget. In some DMs it'll be
obvious, in some, you need to click your username or perhaps a cog or
head icon. Once you've found it, select KDE as your desktop and THEN
enter your password. Your selection *should* be remembered.