Re: Was: Ric Moore

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 14:52:29 -0500
Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:

> So how did you kill NM on your workstation?

It was never there. It's a dependency of quite a lot of stuff, notably
evolution and ppp, but since I use neither I don't need it. But the
Gnome metapackage includes evolution, so if you just ask for 'Gnome',
you get NM.

This is an unstable installation with systemd deliberately installed
early in the process, so it's a bit unusual. As far as I recall:

wheezy netinstall with no options selected, so no X, DE, etc.
update/upgrade (I didn't bother getting the latest netinstall)
dist-upgrade to unstable
install systemd plus dependencies
install an edited set-selections from a previous unstable

The previous unstable had been upgraded with systemd, and had proved
to be, well, unstable. So I did a get-selections, trimmed it a bit, and
built a new installation as above, with systemd installed early, before
most other software. Stability is much better now.

> Using information that it seems to me, is deliberately withheld from
> the user.  Or I have not learned in 80 years, how to ask the right
> question..

I would try (as I have done for a couple of years) a completely
Gnome-less installation (I'm using Xfce as my DE these days), then add
the bits that I want, hoping that not too much bloat gets pulled in with
them. I like Nautilus and gedit more than the alternatives, and I'm
willing to put up with a bit of extra stuff to get them, similarly
Konqueror and k3b and one or two other KDE bits.

The various metapackages are very useful for beginners, but if there's
something a bit objectionable dragged in, then it's best to install
just the bits you actually want, and trust apt-get/aptitude to do the
right things with them. You should be able to make a minimal
installation of Xfce or LXDE and then install kmail, which should
hopefully only bring in the minimum necessary library support. If you
don't like the DE, you can install another, or just a window manager,
then make sure that starts instead of the initial DE.

--
Joe