Re:Was: Ric Moore

On Saturday 17 January 2015 13:04:09 Clive Standbridge did opine
And Gene did reply:
> > I assume it has a name, is this 7.8=Jessie?
>
> Its name is wheezy. It's an update, not a new release. See:
> https://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2015/msg00000.html
>
> > Anybody else? FWIW, 7.8, all 3 dvd's in amd64 format, is being
> > downloaded now. So I'll give it one more try.
>
> It's a bit late now, but you might have had much lighter download
> using the network installation CD. Three DVDs is about 13GB; I doubt
> that most installations would be that big. With the network
> installation you boot from a CD (222MB download) which then downloads
> only the packages that will be installed. See
> https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

Unfortunately, the last 9 debian/ubuntu flavored installs, on 4 machines
here, have all ran up against Network-Mangler, which promptly tore down
any attempts I successfully made to get it online. I was successful
several times in each case, for 15 to 30 seconds, able to ping the world,
but 30 seconds later I am looking at a no network, can't continue pop up
message. Network Menagerie simple cannot, will not, accept that there is
in fact a valid, all fixed address, doesn't need a dhcp client ever,
network out there that is actually working, so it proceeds to tear up what
you've done, and then can't find a network on its own because there is not
a dhcp server running anywhere on this network, and never will be until it
can setup one of my other machines, by its hostname association and "ping
shop", getting the usual ping response.  That day has never arrived
without setting up fixed addresses vs mac addresses in dhcpd.conf.

So I swap drives & reboot to an older install, mount that drive, and as
root, go into it, setting up the networking, and making every file I have
to touch to setup what I know works, its working right now, with a root
chattr +i on every file I have to edit after Network Mangler screws it up
again.  Then I re-swap the drives and reboot to the new install, and
networking Just Works(TM) for the life of that install.

But you all seem to think that all user's are a pack of driveling dummies,
not to be trusted to set up a network, so you put so many dependencies in
it that removing it is impossible without wrecking the whole install.

Then there is apparently no way to shut it off at boot time. I have looked
for that. And it IS running right now.  So the best that I can do here is
emasculate it and break all its fingers by making the network files
ALL(including /etc/hosts) immutable.  Which it seems to silently accept.
But why is it wasting cpu resources and memory when it is not needed and
has had all its fingers to screw with things amputated?

Sorry, but network manager is a sore spot for my local network, and will
be until such time as it is no longer a daemon that cannot even be killed.

This isn't winderz folks, get rid of useless crap please.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Those downloads are finished but not yet burned.  I have a couple other
things I want to do first.

Thank you for the advice.  I did consider it, but when you cannot keep a
network up during the install, that method presented more problems that
the installer does not give you the tools to fix since it is not possible
to start another root terminal while the installer is struggling with a
broken network mangler.  Chicken v egg situation.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)