Recording sound from a web page

I am trying to record sound that is playing in firefox, or chrome. I am using Audacity 2.0.1 on Wheezy. I am trying to find an input device that gets the sound straight from the browser output. I can plug in a patch cord from speaker to mic and record that way, but I am getting a clicking in the background that I can't seem to get rid of. I would prefer if Audacity simply used the speaker output directly without a patch cord. Is there a way to do this? I tried VLC (version 2.0.6) but had no luck finding the desired input there, either. Is there some other package that will do this better?

Marc