Re: Was: Ric Moore

On Saturday 17 January 2015 20:38:25 Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 17 January 2015 13:04:09 Clive Standbridge did opine
> > It's a bit late now, but you might have had much lighter download
> > using the network installation CD. Three DVDs is about 13GB; I doubt
> > that most installations would be that big. With the network
> > installation you boot from a CD (222MB download) which then downloads
> > only the packages that will be installed. See
> > https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
>
> Unfortunately, the last 9 debian/ubuntu flavored installs, on 4 machines
> here, have all ran up against Network-Mangler, which promptly tore down
> any attempts I successfully made to get it online.
[snip] <rant against Network Mangler, us and the Universe>

Gene -

I use the network install Debian CD and for years used static IPs.  No
problem.  When it gets to the point of looking for a network you ask to set
it up manually and do so.  Home and dry.  No problems.  No Network Mangler
(If you *will* use Ubuntu what do you expect???).  Network set up how you
want it.  You just have to stay awake and not blindly click <enter> or let
the defaults go ahead willly nilly.  ;-)

Lisi