Re: Was: Ric Moore

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 03:38:25PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 17 January 2015 13:04:09 Clive Standbridge did opine
> And Gene did reply:
> > > I assume it has a name, is this 7.8=Jessie?
> >
> > Its name is wheezy. It's an update, not a new release. See:
> > https://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2015/msg00000.html
> >
> > > Anybody else? FWIW, 7.8, all 3 dvd's in amd64 format, is being
> > > downloaded now. So I'll give it one more try.
> >
> > It's a bit late now, but you might have had much lighter download
> > using the network installation CD. Three DVDs is about 13GB; I doubt
> > that most installations would be that big. With the network
> > installation you boot from a CD (222MB download) which then downloads
> > only the packages that will be installed. See
> > https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
>
> Unfortunately, the last 9 debian/ubuntu flavored installs, on 4 machines
> here, have all ran up against Network-Mangler, which promptly tore down

Hi Gene,

Burn DVD1. As that boots, tab down to Advanced options, Expert Install

[If you want other than Gnome, select alternative Desktop environments, then go back to select Expert install]

At the question where it asks you if you want to configure networking automatically,
say no and put in the values for your network.

Work on through - at that point, you should have a machine that understands your network.

The key if you've stuff that's non standard is to do an Expert install.

The other disks will be useful if you ever have to bootstrap a complete machine without access to a network: apt-cdrom add
is then used to add the disks to your machine so that the package management system understands whtihc packages are on
which disk.

Hope this helps,

All the best,

AndyC