Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Vi, 12 dec 14, 20:07:26, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> >
> > I don't know how effective this check is though.  But I've NEVER
> > had a dirty partition reported in the past 8 years or so. The nice
> > thing is it is a very fast check. My 16GB / checked in less than 5
> > seconds, and the 205GB /home in about 10 seconds or so. (I didn't
> > actually time this. Subjective estimates.) However, it seemed TOO
> > quick. Never thought about that until today when I actually sat
> > there and watched the whole shutdown-reboot sequence. Usually I
> > don't.
>
> If you want *really* fast fsck on boot switch to xfs ;)

15 seconds extra, a couple times a year isn't all THAT bad.

FWIW, I think I found out why ext4 fsck's faster than ext3 (or the other
exts).  Seems ext4 only checks the part of the filesystem that's been
used/writtento/etc. instead of the entire filesystem/partition.