Re: xfs and other filesystems (was Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?)

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 13 dec 14, 18:38:36, The Wanderer wrote:
> > Serious question - I know it has its advantages for particular
> > scenarios, but I don't know how it stacks up in general-purpose use, and
> > I've never run across an accounting of its disadvantages in a context
> > which struck me as reliable.
>
> As far as I understand, xfs is an excelent filesystem and should
> probably be considered whenever filesystem performance can significantly
> impact your application.

XFS is slower than ext4 on certain metadata-heavy workloads, and faster in
multiple-stream workloads.  It also scales better than ext4 on very big
filesystems.  It is, however, more memory-hungry.

I use it extensively wherever I don't expect more than one crash an year.
Otherwise, I go with ext4 (better fsck).

> I'm preferring ext4 simply because it's more likely to be supported out
> of the box in most scenarios and to keep my installations as simple as
> possible as it's unlikely I would feel any real difference by switching
> to another filesystem.

Agreed.

  Henrique Holschuh