Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On Tue 09 Dec 2014 at 10:11:45 +0300, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:

> Brian you seem to miss a point here, your roundabout solution to
> systemd introduced regression implies that when you boot your
> computer you get to know in advance if you can afford a fsck to run
> on those big data drives. I live in a country with very unreliable
> power, and there are quite a few around the planet. We still do
> computing, and have UPS, but even UPS and solar powered batteries
> cannot get the computer to run for ever. If I start booting and fsck
> runs, and I get a power cut, what am I to do ? I can wait with my
> fingers crossed that fsck will complete before I run out of power,
> at which point the system is going to crash badly, or interrupt it
> and shut down more or less cleanly.

GRUB can be told about an upcoming fsck and display a message inviting
you to choose to do it or not. So you get to know about it in advance;
which presumably you didn't know before.

You, as the person best placed, can decide whether the fsck can be
afforded based on the status of the power supply. The ability to
interupt the fsck after a power cut is of dubious value but, assuming
you are aware of your present power reserves and what is drawn from them
by an fsck, you could maybe uncross your fingers.