Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On 09/12/2014 22:11, Brian wrote:
On Tue 09 Dec 2014 at 10:11:45 +0300, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:

Brian you seem to miss a point here, your roundabout solution to
systemd introduced regression implies that when you boot your
computer you get to know in advance if you can afford a fsck to run
on those big data drives. I live in a country with very unreliable
power, and there are quite a few around the planet. We still do
computing, and have UPS, but even UPS and solar powered batteries
cannot get the computer to run for ever. If I start booting and fsck
runs, and I get a power cut, what am I to do ? I can wait with my
fingers crossed that fsck will complete before I run out of power,
at which point the system is going to crash badly, or interrupt it
and shut down more or less cleanly.

GRUB can be told about an upcoming fsck and display a message inviting
you to choose to do it or not. So you get to know about it in advance;
which presumably you didn't know before.

If grub could tell me if I am going to have electricity supply for the next coming hours, that could be a workaround. Otherwise it is not a substitute to being able to interrupt the fsck.

You, as the person best placed, can decide whether the fsck can be
afforded based on the status of the power supply. The ability to
interupt the fsck after a power cut is of dubious value but, assuming
you are aware of your present power reserves and what is drawn from them
by an fsck, you could maybe uncross your fingers.

You must be living in rainbow pony and candy trees world. To calculate the remaining time you need to know how much power is drown by any specific drive in the raid array being checked, you need to know if your batteries have had time to fully recharge after the last cut, you need to know their self-discharge level and the maximum power they can hold given their age. You also need to know if more than one array is going to be checked during this specific boot, and the power drown by any other device sharing the same power source (systemd can send me donations if it wants me to have dedicated power backup for every appliance and device). All this just because you won't admit that systemd took away a feature, and that it is systemd's business to bring it back. I am just having fun with you giving my specific use case, to see how deep you can entrenched in your denial and fanaticism regarding systemd's shortcomings. With friends like you systemd doesn't need enemies. Jessie won't hold together with tape and flaky excuses for systemd's lack of readiness in Debian. So me, (quoting you) "as the person best placed, can decide wether" I want to interrupt fsck or not, and don't need systemd to hold my hand and keep me "safe" just to pathetically try to hide the fact that it introduced bugs and regressions. I try systemd, fill bugs, try to keep current regarding it's features and sketchy documentation, but I admit that the most annoying thing about systemd transition isn't its bugs, or its more vocal opponents, but the zealots and "devil's advocate" [1] one have to face with every bit of criticism one dare to express toward systemd's shortcomings (see [2] for example of shortcomings).

Have a good day (or night).

[1] https://xkcd.com/1432/

[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=systemd;dist=unstable