Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On 20141210_1830+0000, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 10 Dec 2014 at 19:23:07 +0300, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
>
> > On 10/12/2014 14:04, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > >
> > >Of course, there's also the option of completely disabling automatic
> > >fsck (there are several ways to do this), as I understand is the default
> > >for new enough filesystems. This would make more sense for me on systems
> > >with bad power (you'd still get the "bad shutdown" check).
> >
> > Yes, disabling and doing manual checks from time to time is a
> > possibility, but you'd have to convince all users to hand their
> > gears to an admin outside of business hours. The said admin (who
> > might just bee a teacher in fact) might not be happy with the idea
> > of a week-end spent at fsck'ing the world out of the compulab, just
> > because of systemd. With the conditions I mentioned earlier running
> > a fsck regularly is a good thing, just not being able to interrupt
> > it in case of emergency isn't.
>
> Ever since Wheezy automatic fsck has been disabled on new installs. For

Until I read the above, I had not realized that automatic fsck had
been gone for so long -- and without me noticing. I suppose it is
true, but I have no way of verifying. I know Wheezy and Jessie were
both new installs for me because I had a very poor track record of
doing successful dist-upgrades.

Of course, there might have been some disastrous loss of data out
there somewhere on someone else's computer. And that someone might not
have realized that his data might have been saved if there had been a
automatic fsck. If he thought about it at all, he probably just
supposed that the disk failed 'between file checks', which had always
been a possibility. So the fact that there is no record of complaints
proves nothing, one way or the other. We have no valid data, IMHO.
Even the computer facilities run in support of Debian servers don't
provide valid data because they are surely kept cleaner than the vast
majority of self administered home office setups.

As to what to do now that this issue is being discussed: Install, as
part of a normal Debian install, a crontab that issues a reminder
message to the user that it is time to do an fsck, with a hot link
to a wiki page on how to do it, and suggestions agout vacuuming the
dust bunnies from around the fan vents.

Implementing this idea is surely NOT release critical for Jessie,
IMHO.

Peace.
--
Paul E Condon