Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On Dec 13, 2014, at 4:40 PM, Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:

> 15 seconds extra, a couple times a year isn't all THAT bad.
>
> FWIW, I think I found out why ext4 fsck's faster than ext3 (or the other
> exts).  Seems ext4 only checks the part of the filesystem that's been
> used/writtento/etc. instead of the entire filesystem/partition.

Yes, that’s the secret sauce.  There was a paper (in Usenix FAST, I think) about what’s new in ext4.

My own experience is with ext4 filesystems of up to 6 TB.  The application is radio station automation.  A half hour show is about 600GB, so lots of very big files.  Total time to do a full fsck is under two minutes.  It can be nerve-wracking when the station is down because the server decided to reboot and do an fsck, but it’s *way* better than it used to be with ext3!

Rick