Re: .Xresources not loading on start

On Fri 21 Mar 2014 at 22:26:40 +0530, Anubhav Yadav wrote:

> > Re-read what Vincent Zweije wrote, especially his first mail. Then
> > re-read the answers in the stackexchange link you gave, concentrating on
> > what is said about "specific" and "priority". Now re-read what you wrote:
>
> Yes, Vincent said that the default .Xresources contain some settings
> with a higher priority. And the stackexchange comments says that if there
> is an Xresource "somewhere" that has more specific settings like
> XTerm*background
> then it overides the generic settings like *background.

Spot on. Note *VT100*background is also more specific than *background.

> > "*customization: -color" is from /etc/X11/Xresources/x11-common. It tells
> > X what application specific resource file in /etc/X11/app-defaults to use.
> > Normally the resource file used corresponds to the application name; for
> > example, XTerm for xterm. The customization resource adds -color to the
> > normal resource file name and so XTerm-color is used.
>
> It's very confusing to me. From what I interpret, the *customization: -color
> simply selects XTerm-color resources instead of XTerm from
> /etc/X11/app-defaults?

Correct. Note that XTerm-color (you can check) includes XTerm, but this
is of no importance for our purposes.

> > Note that .Xresources is merged with XTerm-color but from your re-reading
> > (and from your experience) you should realise it does not mean everything
> > in it is applied.
> > Take your *original* .Xresources and, in the light of your reading, look
> > at the output (color1 etc in particular) of 'appres XTERM xterm'.
>
> color1 is #f92672

My fault; the command is 'appres XTerm xterm'. There should be two
resource lines with color1 in them. One is from XTerm-color, the other
is from the merged .Xresources. Which one is more specific?

> > Now add the line
> >    *customization:
> > to the original .Xresources and run the appres command again, Can you
> > predict what should happen to an xterm when you start X?
>
> I am typing this *before* I make any changes in my .Xresources and
> before "xrdb .Xresources"

Don't use "xrdb .Xresources". It will wipe out averything from XTerm.
Not that it really matters here but it is not part of the testing
strategy.

> I feel that this should overide the *customization: -color settings in
> /etc/x11/Xresources and the settings in XTerm should be loaded.

That's the correct conclusion; the color settings from XTerm-color will
be absent and what is in .Xresources should prevail.

> Okay after adding the said line in .Xresources (*customization:) and
> reloading them
> (xrdb .Xresource) color1 is
> xterm*color1:   #f92672
>
> Which is the same?
>
> Am I missing something? Sorry for a delayed response!

Yes - you've missed my propensity to mistype; :) correct it and you're
there.