Re: .Xresources not loading on start

On Wed 19 Mar 2014 at 21:57:44 +0530, Anubhav Yadav wrote:

> That sure cleared  lot of things!

We preesume you are now satisfied with the solution you have. There is
nothing wrong with it but there is another aspect to the problem which
you have actually observed. You have given all the relevant information
in your posts and from it we can get another (but not necessarily better)
solution.

Re-read what Vincent Zweije wrote, especially his first mail. Then
re-read the answers in the stackexchange link you gave, concentrating on
what is said about "specific" and "priority". Now re-read what you wrote:

   One more thing I would like to point out is that, the above
   outputs contains some extra lines in the output of 'xrdb -query"
   that are *NOT* in my version of .Xresources. Like
   *customization: -color
   Xft.lcdfilter:  lcddefault
   etc.

(The "etc" was ok. I misunderstood; my previous comment on it can be
ignored. :))

"*customization: -color" is from /etc/X11/Xresources/x11-common. It tells
X what application specific resource file in /etc/X11/app-defaults to use.
Normally the resource file used corresponds to the application name; for
example, XTerm for xterm. The customization resource adds -color to the
normal resource file name and so XTerm-color is used.

Note that .Xresources is merged with XTerm-color but from your re-reading
(and from your experience) you should realise it does not mean everything
in it is applied.

Take your *original* .Xresources and, in the light of your reading, look
at the output (color1 etc in particular) of 'appres XTERM xterm'.

Now add the line

   *customization:

to the original .Xresources and run the appres command again, Can you
predict what should happen to an xterm when you start X?