Re: Great Debian experience

On 2014-03-21 04:30, Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 20:33:17 +0700 Ken Heard
> <kenslists@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>> On 2014-03-19 23:02, Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com wrote:
>>
>>> * Tell it to include the nonfree repos
>>
>> Did not, but ending up installing the ones I needed anyway.
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> Humor me...
>
> Unless you have a similar objection to nonfree software that
> Stallman has,

On this issue I am not a fanatic like Stallman, although I see his point.

> just for fun tell it to install nonfree at installation time.

I am not sure how to do this.  Is there an option to add to the
install command line?  If there is such an option would it add
non-free to /etc/apt/sources.list?  When I finished the installation I
discovered that the non-free options were not in that file; so I added
them manually.

> For one thing, it makes things more "just works", which is how the
> thread started, but also, it's remotely possible you *didn't*
> install that one nonfree software that would have made LVM work
> with your brand new hardware.

The one thing which the installer asked during installation process
what whether I wanted to install firmware-iwlwifi so that the wireless
feature of the mainboard to connect with wireless peripherals e,g, a
mouse would work.  Since I did not need this feature I did not install
this package as part of the installation.

Later on I did install it, if only to stop the boot process from
asking for it every time I booted the machine.  For good measure I
also installed firmware-linux-free and firmware-linux-nonfree, without
knowing for sure whether I needed them.

> That sounds bizarre, but might be possible. Example...
>
> Back in the day, Mandriva Linux came with a free Broadcom driver
> and the nonfree. The free driver flat out didn't work, and if it
> was installed, you had to disable it or it would deep-six the
> nonfree driver that *did* work.

The Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI motherboard I am using has two built-in
RJ-45 ethernet cards, one Intel and the other Atheros.  The Intel one
worked out of the box, so to speak; but the Atheros one did not,
probably because it requires a driver which is not installed.  Could
something like this prevent LVM from working?

In any event when I tried to install LVM after installing RAID1 the
installer failed to go any further and produced a screenful of error
messages.  These I will send in as part of the installation report if,
as and when I get around to preparing it.

> Thanks very much for the wicd tip. When I'm not using Xfce, I'm
> using Openbox, and nm-applet doesn't show up in Openbox, so I'm
> always looking for another way of handling networks, beyond ifup
> and wpa-supplicant.

My pleasure.  I found wicd when I was using a laptop which had
wireless capability.  That Gigabyte mainboard also has such
capability, but I am not using it.

Regards, Ken