Re: Great Debian experience

On 2014-03-19 23:02, Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com wrote:

> I have a specific set of secrets:
>
> * Use the network installer,

Did

 CLI (ncurses) mode,

Was not sure what these were but discovered that I did use CLI but not
ncurses.

 Expert Install

Did

> * But mostly choose the defaults

Did

> * Install the Stable version

Did

> * Tell it to include the nonfree repos

Did not, but ending up installing the ones I needed anyway.

> * Install a very small system working, then use apt-get to expand
> ..I don't even install X during the install

After trying to do it all at once, as I had done for sarge, etch,
lenny and squeeze, I did as you now suggest, getting an CLI system
working then adding the rest in succession.  Doing so took the
majority of the time because various combinations would not work
together, such as LVM on top of RAID1.  Each one would work alone but
not together.  Trying them together broke the installer.  If I have
time I will describe this problem in an installation report.

> * Use a robust, lightweight desktop like Xfce, LXDE, or Openbox

Ended up with kde-trinity which I have been using since squeeze.  It
is not perfect, but what is?

> * Install networkmanager. I'm no longer man enough to use
> wpasupplicant or iwconfig

wicd was good enough.  In the one and only box so far where I have
wheezy I do not need wireless.

> * Early, install synaptic. Much easier than CLI apt-cache search.

Didn't bother.  Have been using apt-cache and the other apts.  I am
used to them so why change?

> * Don't use brand new hardware.

Here I did not have any choice.  This wheezy was in a new computer and
I had to go with what the suppliers import into Thailand.  The parts I
acquired would not have been my first choice.  Components in the box
are: Gigabyte GA-Z87Z-WIFI, Intel i5-4670K processor with integrated
GPU, 2 Corsair DDR3 Non-EEC CL9 DIMM (2x4GB) which I hope will be
enough, 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB SATA 6Gb"s 6200RMP 64mb cache
for RAID1, which I also hope will be enough, and a Thermaltake 650W
gold power supply.

This setup had features which I do not expect ever to use such as
overclocking and built in wireless for peripherals and connection to
the ISP.  Because of space restrictions I needed a mini-itx board;
that Gigabyte one was the only one available.  All these parts fit in
a Lian-Li mini-itx case.

I looked at off-the-shelf computers, but I was not impressed.  One
thing about Thailand though, Microsoft cannot coerce suppliers to use
their operating systems (and pay for them).  Off the shelf computers
here will have either no operating system at all, freedos, or linux.
I saw some with slackware and ubuntu.

If you really are stupid enough to want Microsoft and you are an
international company you are pretty well forced to buy it.  If you
are an ordinary person and want it, you use a bootleg copy.
Consequently open source has a higher market share here than in more
"sophisticated" parts of the world.

> About that last point: The next time I get new hardware, I'll try
> Debian Stable first, but if the hardware is newer than the drivers
> in Debian Stable, I'll use Xubuntu, and then a year later go to
> Debian Stable.

I think having new hardware newer than available drivers probably did
 contribute to some of my problems.  I did not however want to try
something new like one of the buntus, even though they are based on
Debian; so I stuck with wheezy.  I did find that using a kernel from
wheezy-backports, linux-image-3.10-0.bpo.3-amd64, seemed to make a
difference.

Regards, Ken