Re: Great Debian experience

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 20:33:17 +0700
Ken Heard <kenslists@teksavvy.com> wrote:

> On 2014-03-19 23:02, Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com wrote:
>
> > * Tell it to include the nonfree repos
>
> Did not, but ending up installing the ones I needed anyway.

Hi Ken,

Humor me...

Unless you have a similar objection to nonfree software that Stallman
has, just for fun tell it to install nonfree at installation time. For
one thing, it makes things more "just works", which is how the thread
started, but also, it's remotely possible you *didn't* install that one
nonfree software that would have made LVM work with your brand new
hardware.

That sounds bizarre, but might be possible. Example...

Back in the day, Mandriva Linux came with a free Broadcom driver and the
nonfree. The free driver flat out didn't work, and if it was installed,
you had to disable it or it would deep-six the nonfree driver that
*did* work.

Thanks very much for the wicd tip. When I'm not using Xfce, I'm using
Openbox, and nm-applet doesn't show up in Openbox, so I'm always
looking for another way of handling networks, beyond ifup and
wpa-supplicant.

SteveT