Re: Gnome (wheezy) questions: Language setting, speech synthesis, visually impaired user

On 21/03/14 16:09, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> Quoting Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com>:
>> I'm sorry, I know nothing of GNOME or Orca - I use KDE and it's
>> accessibility reader (which also uses espeak).
>> *But as no one else has replied yet...*
>>
>> This should 'probably' exist:-
>> /usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart/orca-autostart.desktop
>
> Yes, with gdm3 instead of lightdm, the display manager now talks to me.
> I just have to switch it on once by pressing a symbol in the upper
> right corner.

If it's not possible to make screen read the default rather than an
"opt-in via click" I'd call that a bug.

>From the Debian wiki page referenced at the bottom of this post:-
su -s /bin/sh -c 'eval $(dbus-launch) ; export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID ; GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set
org.gnome.desktop.a11y.applications screen-reader-enabled true'
Debian-gdm || true

If that doesn't help... I like to hack, which is often a necessity
anyway given the driving forces behind Open Source documentation are not
as strong or immediate as those that drive development - on that basis
I'd try these places for a means to make screenread the default:-
;/etc/dconf/db/gdm.d/*
;/etc/gdm/custom.conf

> It has, however, while reading Spanish, an English voice, i.e. the
> pronounciation is totally wrong. It seems, that Orca does not respect
> the global language setting (es_AR.UTF-8 in this case, which would
> map to "latin american spanish" I presume).

I prefer festival to espeak (a little less Stephen Hawkings which makes
it easier for me to pick up grammatical errors. Shouldn't be hard to
configure (I hope) in GNOME.

It's been a while since I tried mbrola, but here's a link to a guide
which may prove useful (if you still have time and patience):-
http://stormdragon.us/?p=37

>> Espeak includes Spanish, and Orca uses espeak (apparently) - so it
>> "probably" should work in Spanish.
>
> Yes, but one has to configure it explicitly, as it does not respect
> the global setting.

Keyboard settings?

> For the display manager, I don't know how to
> configure it for gdm, so the login remains in English - not a deal
> breaker, just a bug.

"Unfortunately I don't have time to install GNOME and test this, [*1]
but perhaps this will help:-
To change the GDM language, edit the file
/var/lib/AccountsService/users/gdm and change the language line using
the correct UTF-8 value for your language. You should see something
similar to the text below:

/var/lib/AccountsService/users/gdm

[User]
Language=fr_FR.UTF-8
XSession=
SystemAccount=true
"
[*1]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GDM#Change_the_language
http://accessiblefreedom.org/pipermail/support_accessiblefreedom.org/2013-August/001798.html

> Many thanks!

I hope the end-user appreciates your work as much as I do.

Kind regards

Other references:-
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GDM/EaseOfAccess
https://wiki.debian.org/accessibility  (could possibly benefit from your