Re: Great Debian experience

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 03:12:12AM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> Am I missing something here?
>
> When I dig into my LVM setup, I note that much of the LVM functionality seems to be oriented to providing RAID-like functionality. Would that explain why
> people don't seem to be using LVM together with the non-LVM RAID packages?

Hardly. mdadm (aka Linux software RAID) was introduced in 2001, matured
quickly, and is rock-stable last 10 years.

LVM2's RAID implementation was added, like, 3-4 years ago (RHEL6 was
first to introduce it IIRC), and it still has its' share of bugs, such
as:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2012-July/msg00015.html

For me, the whole point of RAID (barring RAID0, of course), is to
protect one from the hard drive failure. If RAID implementation fails to
achieve such goal - said RAID implementation is useless.

Reco