Re: Great Debian experience

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 2:30 AM, Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com> wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2014, Ken Heard wrote:

> [snip]
> I never did get LVM going on top of RAID1.  Since I had to use an
> mini-ITX box there would not be room in it for more than the two hard
> drives already there and used for the RAID1.  I consequently made a
> virtue out of necessity by deciding that I did not need LVM.  If ever
> I need more hard drive space it will have to be external.

I'm curious.  Why would you want to use LVM with such a set up?  Seems
pointless.  Not advantageous.  For a non-server situation.  Even if you
do add additional hard drives (externally), they can be mounted and used
effectively by conventional means.

Am I missing something here?

When I dig into my LVM setup, I note that much of the LVM functionality seems to be oriented to providing RAID-like functionality. Would that explain why people don't seem to be using LVM together with the non-LVM RAID packages?

This probably is tangled up in the hardware RAID vs. software RAID argument?

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.