Re: Four people decided the fate of debian with systemd. Bad faith likely

On 3/2/2014 20:21, LOwens wrote:

> As I understand things, one of the benefits of systemd is a fast boot
> process.  As I only boot my computer once per year (or so), this is terribly
> important to me (sarcasm).  My computer spends a lot of time doing BOINC.
>
> As I understand things, to speed up the boot process, all the script files
> get replaced with binary stuff.  If there is a problem, you're hooped as you
> can't edit some text file to fix things.  Along with this goes a more
> complicated PID=1.
>
> The guys at Bell Labs were all smart guys.  Text files and simple PID=1 make
> a lot of sense.  There are lots of people who like the idea of fast boot
> times.  I think most of these people are looking for hibernation, not boot.

sysvinit's script get replaced with unit files [0].

An example from my Arch Linux ARM system:

[root@lasciel system]# cat multi-user.target.wants/ntpd.service
[Unit]
Description=Network Time Service
After=network.target nss-lookup.target

[Service]
Type=forking
PrivateTmp=true
PIDFile=/run/ntpd.pid
ExecStart=/usr/bin/ntpd -g -u ntp:ntp -p /run/ntpd.pid
Restart=always

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Very much a text file.