RE: Four people decided the fate of debian with systemd. Bad faith likely

-----Original Message-----
From: ghaverla [mailto:ghaverla@materialisations.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2014 4:31 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Four people decided the fate of debian with systemd. Bad faith
likely

On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 16:53:59 +1100
Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I disagree with the binaryness of
> > systemd.
>
> Do you mean the *one* binary in systemd?  I'm pretty sure the source
> is available.

As I understand things, one of the benefits of systemd is a fast boot
process.  As I only boot my computer once per year (or so), this is terribly
important to me (sarcasm).  My computer spends a lot of time doing BOINC.

As I understand things, to speed up the boot process, all the script files
get replaced with binary stuff.  If there is a problem, you're hooped as you
can't edit some text file to fix things.  Along with this goes a more
complicated PID=1.

The guys at Bell Labs were all smart guys.  Text files and simple PID=1 make
a lot of sense.  There are lots of people who like the idea of fast boot
times.  I think most of these people are looking for hibernation, not boot.

> > But knowing Debian was going to change, I went looking for refuge,
> > and things derived from Gentoo might be home, things derived from
> > Slackware might be home.
>
> Choice is good. Fortunately it's one of the key benefits of Open
> Source development.

There is no choice, when we are informed that systemd will be the default in
8.0, when in unstable and testing systemd is already present and seemingly
no way to remove it.

Or rather there is a choice: your way or the highway.  And my decision, was
highway.

Maybe things were presented wrong.  Maybe things were not presented when
they should have been.  I have autism, and tend to take everything at face
value.

As I seen things, there was no choice.  As things progress, I still see no
choice, except the highway.

Gord

Remember when Thompson et al did the UNIX at BTL the computers were VERY
slow (and VERY slow to boot) and also required boot relatively regularly.
Larry