Re: Four people decided the fate of debian with systemd. Bad faith likely

On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 16:53:59 +1100
Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I disagree with the binaryness of
> > systemd.
>
> Do you mean the *one* binary in systemd?  I'm pretty sure the source
> is available.

As I understand things, one of the benefits of systemd is a fast boot
process.  As I only boot my computer once per year (or so), this is
terribly important to me (sarcasm).  My computer spends a lot of time
doing BOINC.

As I understand things, to speed up the boot process, all the script
files get replaced with binary stuff.  If there is a problem, you're
hooped as you can't edit some text file to fix things.  Along with this
goes a more complicated PID=1.

The guys at Bell Labs were all smart guys.  Text files and simple PID=1
make a lot of sense.  There are lots of people who like the idea of
fast boot times.  I think most of these people are looking for
hibernation, not boot.

> > But knowing Debian was going to change, I went looking for refuge,
> > and things derived from Gentoo might be home, things derived from
> > Slackware might be home.
>
> Choice is good. Fortunately it's one of the key benefits of Open
> Source development.

There is no choice, when we are informed that systemd will be the
default in 8.0, when in unstable and testing systemd is already present
and seemingly no way to remove it.

Or rather there is a choice: your way or the highway.  And my decision,
was highway.

Maybe things were presented wrong.  Maybe things were not presented
when they should have been.  I have autism, and tend to take everything
at face value.

As I seen things, there was no choice.  As things progress, I still see
no choice, except the highway.

Gord