Re: Four people decided the fate of debian with systemd. Bad faith likely

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 11:27:59 -0500
"Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com" <littdom@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 18:26:25 -0700
> ghaverla <ghaverla@materialisations.com> wrote:
> >
> > I will try Sabyon (sp?).  But it looks like it might move to systemd
> > willingly leaving no option.  It is based on Gentoo, which I could
> > move to.
>
> I tested Sabayon during my last "distro shootout", and it's *a lot*
> different than Debian, especially Debian Stable. Sabayon is a rolling
> distro, which can be convenient, but means broken code could sneak
> onto your computer at any time. This is also true of things like
> Ubuntu, but it's not true of Debian Stable unless a security update
> is bad.
>
> Sabayon isn't all that easy to install. If I remember correctly, I was
> forced to configure the kernel myself at install time (I might be
> confusing it with Gentoo, this shootout was about 3 years ago). I got
> the kernel wrong, and had to boot from System Rescue CD. Anyway,
> Sabayon was difficult to install, and felt rather fragile to me.
>
> I have no knowledge of init systems and couldn't possibly comment on
> systemd vs udev vs SysV, so I don't understand what's so terrible
> about systemd. But my research from 3 years ago tell me that
> Sabayon's no panacea.
>
> I just started using Debian (Wheezy) on a regular basis, and like its
> solid ease. Systemd would need to be awfully bad for me to give that
> up.

Hi Steve.  We both moved to Claws from kmail at about the same time.

Most of the programming I have done is numerical methods, but for years
on Debian I was compiling my own kernel.  I am trying to start a big
project at Savannah involving a bunch of number crunching, when this
came up.  But I have done a bunch of systems stuff, running Sabyon,
Gentoo or Slackware shouldn't be a problem.  I maintained a token ring
driver for a few kernel revisions past where upstream quit, cross
compiled gcc on Linux for Solaris, ported Perl-4.x to QNX-2.x.

Gord