Re: Four people decided the fate of debian with systemd. Bad faith likely

On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 18:26:25 -0700
ghaverla <ghaverla@materialisations.com> wrote:

> I will try Sabyon (sp?).  But it looks like it might move to systemd
> willingly leaving no option.  It is based on Gentoo, which I could
> move to.

Gord,

I tested Sabayon during my last "distro shootout", and it's *a lot*
different than Debian, especially Debian Stable. Sabayon is a rolling
distro, which can be convenient, but means broken code could sneak onto
your computer at any time. This is also true of things like Ubuntu, but
it's not true of Debian Stable unless a security update is bad.

Sabayon isn't all that easy to install. If I remember correctly, I was
forced to configure the kernel myself at install time (I might be
confusing it with Gentoo, this shootout was about 3 years ago). I got
the kernel wrong, and had to boot from System Rescue CD. Anyway,
Sabayon was difficult to install, and felt rather fragile to me.

I have no knowledge of init systems and couldn't possibly comment on
systemd vs udev vs SysV, so I don't understand what's so terrible about
systemd. But my research from 3 years ago tell me that Sabayon's no
panacea.

I just started using Debian (Wheezy) on a regular basis, and like its
solid ease. Systemd would need to be awfully bad for me to give that up.

Thanks,

SteveT