Re: About Testing Freeze and KDE

On Jo, 11 dec 14, 15:18:12, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > When Testing is released as Stable a new name will be chosen for the
> > > next release and that new name will become Testing.
> >
> > Minor nitpick: the names are already known, the release after Jessie
> > will be Stretch and then next one Buster.
> >
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/11/msg00005.html
>
> I knew about those.  I was trying to make my post useful in the
> future.  As soon as we say Buzz, Rex, Bo, Hamm, Slink, Potato, Woody,
> Sarge, Etch, Lenny, Squeeze, Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, or Buster, sure
> as can be someone will go those are old names, who cares about those
> old things.  The message no longer applies today.  They will ask what
> is the name after Buster?  If you use the names Stable, Testing, Sid
> Unstable then the information continues to be useful until the entire
> release process changes.  New names get chosen by the release team.
> It is one of the few benefits for them.

Stretch and Buster were only meant as example, please consider my
nitpick to have been:

    The name of the next release is generally known, latest by the time
    of the freeze of the previous one.

In this particular case the Release Team was slightly late, but they
made up for it by announcing the name also for the next release, which
makes the lives of a few package maintainers easier.

Kind regards,
Andrei