[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: About Testing Freeze and KDE



B. M. wrote:
> I'm using Debian since about a year now, so this is my first freeze :-)

When you say "using Debian" that is not sufficient to really describe
what you are doing.  I use Debian Stable on production servers.  I
also run Debian Unstable for testing and reporting bugs before the
next release.  Others run Debian Testing in order to have a
semi-rolling release.

> How does the freeze work in regard to KDE: currently, many packages
> are at 4.14.2, PIM is at 4.14.1 and the latest 4.14 release is
> 4.14.3

You are talking about the latest upstream KDE release.  The latest KDE
release available in Debian is 4.14.2.  But if you are talking about
production releases then we are talking the Debian Stable release.  In
Debian Stable the latest KDE is 4.8.4 released with Debian 7 Wheezy.

Debian is a software distribution.  Software distributors distribute
software from upstream projects into nice bundles for end users such
as you and I to install and use as a single thing.  There are
thousands of upstream projects assembled into Debian.  But in order
for that to happen the package must be packaged for Debian.  That
takes some time and doesn't happen instantaneously.  There is always
some normal lag between packages released upstream and then getting
released in Debian.  And often that is intentional if the upstream
doesn't have anything of significant value the downstream
distributions may wait for the next major release instead.

> Is it true that the packages will stay at these version numbers,
> also after the release of Jessie?

When Debian Jessie is released as Debian Stable then it will be
released.  Nothing will change anymore.  The many Debian Stable users
such as all of my production systems will be planning to upgrade from
the previous production release to the next.  We don't want any more
changes after it has been released!

> But wouldn't it make sense to upgrade everything to 4.14.3 since
> this is the latest and most stable KDE 4 release? Is this impossible
> because it conflicts with the Debian policy?

It conflicts with your choice of release track.  You are currently
tracking Jessie?  The entire purpose of Jessie is to be a release
candidate to become the next Stable release.  As a release candidate
Jessie spends its growing up life learning how to be a release to
Stable when it will graduate and stop being fiddled with further.

If you want to continue tracking the bleeding edge then you should not
be using Jessie.  To track the bleeding edge continuously you would
select Testing or Unstable Sid.  (Sid is the name given to Unstable.
Sid is the kid in Toy Story who tormented the toys.)  If you want to
continue to get upgrades then Testing or Sid is the choice you would
make not Jessie.

So it is your choice.  If you are like me and want production
stability then Debian Stable is the right choice.  If you want to ride
the wave and surf the bleeding edge bits then Testing or Unstable is
the right choice for you.

However!  And this is a big however.  Testing and Unstable are by
definition the release candidates.  Emphasis on candidate.  They
sometimes break.  They sometimes have bugs.  Sometimes bad bugs.  The
bleeding edge is called the bleeding edge because sometimes when
living on the "cutting edge of technology" you can get cut up on it
and bleed.

Bob

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature


Reply to: