Re: Good news on claws-mail

Le 20.10.2014 17:29, Steve Litt a écrit :
On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 03:37:56 +0200
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

And, finally, I consider myself as a DE user. My DE is built by
myself around a terminal-emulator, a tiling window manager,

Which one?

i3

I use Openbox, which of course isn't tiling.

and
several applications,

Such as?

* some games, like ace-of-penguis, wesnoth, redeclipse, widelands...
* alsamixer
* aptitude
* bc
* bouml (the GPL version, unmaintained but can still help)
* cgdb
* cifs-utils (at work, since I sometimes need to share stuff with windows users)
* clang+ various coding tools like (astyle, cmake, some scripts, etc)
* dia
* doxygen (with it's gui)
* feh
* galculator (the gtk2 based version, to avoid gtk3 and it's stupid dependencies)
* gftp (that I could probably delete)
* git
* gparted
* latex
* leafpad
* libreoffice (at work only)
* meld
* mpc/ncmpcpp/mpd
* mpv/mplayer, depending on the version of Debian
* numlockx (I do not understand why does linux change that damned lock at boot...)
* ssh
* 7zip
* pgadmin (at work, and I tend to avoid it since it's unstable as hell)
* virtualbox
* wxhexeditor
* xpaint
* xosview
* zenmap
* zim
* i3status
* i3lock
* blender (only used as toy level, when I have some time to waste. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough with that kind of stuff) * opera: I really can't use that firefox strange GUI based on IE... the config box is just too messy, and while you need plug-ins to do basic things like block JS on a per-site basis, you have stupid and dangerous things like a page which shows the lasts websites you went on. And I won't speak about the pain to remove every google reference and then add your own search URIs... opera might be closed source and unmaintained on linux, it's still my favorite.

There are tools I would like to replace since most of those have issues, which can be too much features --that I do not intend to use--, but they're the best I have found for now. feh is really good, if I may give my opinion about it: it just does what you asks it to do, and it does it nicely. Rare enough to be said :)

My main apps are:

* Sigil
* Bluefish
* Iceweasel (I use xxxterm on Ubuntu)
* Vim
* VimOutliner
* LyX
* Gnumeric
* LibreOffice Impress
* The various programming languages
* UMENU
* dmenu

but it's still a DE. A light one, an efficient
one, a personal one, but it's my DE. :D

An afficienado would argue with you that it's a DE only if the apps can
all interact. Me, I'd prefer all my apps mind their own business, but
hey, that's just me.

Hum...
I see no music player or screen locker in your short list, but I use mpd and i3lock. A nice thing when you bind shortcuts or special keys to "scripts": you lock the screen, it automatically pause the current song, and when unlocked, the song continues. When I receive a mail, the workspace number where claws rely is colored in red, as claws' decorations, which is helpful but not distracting if I am doing something. I also have a script which allows me to define the folder my new bash instances will go in when I spawn new terminal (I never use the useless feature of tabbed stuff. I should hack the code to remove it...). When programming, it helps, a lot. The only problem is bash, here: it is unable to handle multi-instances, so the histories are lost more or less randomly when I close/spawn terminals and sessions.

I won't lie to you:
My environment is an "Integrated Development Desktop Environment". It does the same as the classic ones: I have panes containing defined tools at defined places, and I can hide/unhide them at will in single keystroke. Or spawn/kill them. Interactions between them are only scripts that I made. The difference is: I, and only I, have chosen the applications, their shortcuts, and their places. And I'm free to change that when I want, usually in good old text files.

SteveT