Re: Good news on claws-mail

On 18/10/14 19:36, Marko Ranđelović wrote:
Great, but that's Gentoo way, we should have made a Gentuish Debian, i.e. port
certain portage features into APT, such as easily control build flgas. But
then it's needed to keep record of not which packages a package depends on,
but which parts of which packages a package depends on, though I'm not sure
if it's very important.

I also started compiling some programs myself, and the self-compiled versions worked at least equally well while being far less memory hungry than the Debian versions. So that might be a solution for some of us, but it won't of course solve Debian's bigger problem.

As mentioned already in another posting, I think the best, if not the only solution for Debian would be to split the whole thing in two, one for desktop environment users and one for users who do not want a desktop environment. Packages that only work in a desktop environment should only go into the DE repository, while programs that work both within or without a DE should exist in two versions, the non-DE version being compiled in such a way that no dependency on any DE component or library exists. That would bring back to non-DE users a neat, clean, more secure and easier to manage distribution like the one we had before the DE people started to dominate. And it would also solve the systemd problem, as the people trying to impose that "init system" seem to be closely related to the DE side, as far as I can see, and their "philosophy" is the same.

By the way, I am a desktop user, using fvwm. But I don't want all my applications to "look and feel" the same, I don't want everything to interact with everything, and I want to control my computer instead of being controlled by my computer.

p.