Re: Avoiding SystemD isn't hard

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Furthermore, the effect of this patch is trivially obtained by using
> > a late_command to remove systemd-sysv and install sysvinit-core.
>
> except for the various reported issues with all the things aptitude
> wants to remove when you try this.... (I really hate unwinding highly
> entangled dependencies).

Like what? There shouldn't be any packages which depend on systemd-sysv
and don't also depend on systemd-shim.

> > This is the wrong command to run. You want:
> >
> > aptitude install sysvinit-core systemd-sysv-;
> >
> > Removing libpam-systemd and systemd something depends on them isn't
> > useful; they don't determine what the init system is, after all.
>
> seems like we could use some definitive instructions on how to actually do
> this;

The above are the definitive instructions. It actually determines what
/sbin/init *is*. Everything else has to do with whether you have various
systemd libraries installed, which are fairly pointless to bother with
getting rid of.[1]

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/09/msg00969.html

This installs and removes packages which are not setting /sbin/init.

> https://randomstring.org/blog/blog/2014/10/14/removing-systemd-from-a-debian-jessie-system/

This also removes and installs packages which are not setting /sbin/init.

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/09/msg00998.html

This has the same effect as what I wrote, I just used a single line.

If gnome starts to be removed, this is probably a bug, but it can be
trivially overcome by changing the line to:

aptitude install sysvinit-core systemd-shim systemd-sysv-;

In theory, the problem resolver should notice that systemd-shim will
resolve the dependency.

1: The only way to get rid of them is to either not install anything
which uses them, or rebuild all of them to not depend on them. If the
later is what you want, you might as well start spinning up a Debian
derivative now.

Of course, there are cases where only a rare individual will have the
vision to perceive a system which governs many people's lives; a
system which had never before even been recognized as a system; then
such people often devote their lives to convincing other people that
the system really is there and that it aught to be exited from.
 -- Douglas R. Hofstadter _Gödel Escher Bach. Eternal Golden Braid_