Re: Good news on claws-mail

On 19/10/14 13:48, Brian wrote:
On Sat 18 Oct 2014 at 17:29:58 +0200, Peter Nieman wrote:

On 18/10/14 13:49, Scott Ferguson wrote:
Do you have an answer to your question?

Wild guess - notifications?

I don't know claws, but I know from Wheezy that many packages depend
on dbus although dbus isn't necessary for doing the job. Please look
here for examples:
How is dbus necessary for opening a pdf file, for instance? And mail
clients were able to notify users even before dbus was invented.
Trying to get rid of such dependencies is a good thing, in my humble
opinion.

The original post was about claws. My reply was also about claws. If I
hadn't known anything about the topic I wouldn't have responded. You
obviously take a different view about things you cannot be bothered to
check. The OP made a specific *technical* claim. It has been shown to be
fatuous.

   brian@desktop:~$ apt-cache -i rdepends dbus | wc -l
   63

None of the 63 packages is a PDF reader.

I was just trying to explain to Scott why I appreciated every effort to get rid of unnecessary dependencies, especially with regard to (lib)dbus. I did not want to force you to talk about pdf readers. Anyway, evince *recommends* dbus-X11, but after removing dbus it no longer worked.

On the other hand. the actual mechanism involved in a
wheezy upgrade has been been spoken about a number of times.

And opinions about it varied widely.