Re: GR proposed re: choice of init systems

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 21:59:44 -0700
Jimmy Johnson <field.engineer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/17/2014 08:44 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On 10/17/2014 10:22 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> >

> >> What's the hurry, Squeeze is good until 2016, we have plenty of
> >> time to test other init-systems.
> >
> > You use KDE. Where you there when KDE3 became KDE4 and broke our
> > hearts? What a flame fest that was. Yet, you use it now? Ah! Time
> > must have finally smoothed the rough edges. Yet, KDE4 happened no
> > matter what any of us had to say, and I was royally jerked about
> > it. Gnome went through the very same cycle. So did Ubuntu with all
> > of the lens (IMHO) junk. Every one of those projects were driven
> > top-down. We users just got pulled along.
>

> Yes! I was at the KDE4 release at Google what fun..I also helped with
> Trinity, Linux is about diversity and Debian has always been the
> leader.

Whoa guys, slow down on the generalizations. Don't assume everyone uses
KDE4. Two years ago I kicked KDE, in its entirety, libraries and all,
off all my computers. It's an entangled monolith and a danger to
computing. The time might come when I need to do the same with Gnome.
Don't assume that users just bend over and take this entangled junk.

SteveT