Re: GR proposed re: choice of init systems

On 10/17/2014 08:44 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
On 10/17/2014 10:22 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

What's the hurry, Squeeze is good until 2016, we have plenty of time to
test other init-systems.

You use KDE. Where you there when KDE3 became KDE4 and broke our hearts?
What a flame fest that was. Yet, you use it now? Ah! Time must have
finally smoothed the rough edges. Yet, KDE4 happened no matter what any
of us had to say, and I was royally jerked about it. Gnome went through
the very same cycle. So did Ubuntu with all of the lens (IMHO) junk.
Every one of those projects were driven top-down. We users just got
pulled along.

Yes! I was at the KDE4 release at Google what fun..I also helped with Trinity, Linux is about diversity and Debian has always been the leader.

But, it would be equally ridiculous for me to expect that I, as a mere
user/volunteer could demand that the devels should listen to me and
scamper off to do things as I demand them. In a meritocracy I don't
think that things work that way, and that is what we basically have
here. In a meritocracy, according to my personal contribution, my
opinion is worth spit compared to the Devel Project leaders.

I think that depends on what solution you propose, smart people listen.

I can say that I long ago upgraded to Jessie/systemd so that I could be
the first to yell about it. I'm still looking at a 4 monitor/ 2 video
card setup with XFCE and it still works swimmingly well. not even one
blip. That is more than I could say back when about the upgrade from
KDE3 to KDE4. I cannot tell the difference from when I used systemv from
now.

I'm happy you're enjoying systemd. :)

I didn't know about systemd until about 2 months ago when ksystemlog broke, since then I have been studying the situation, studying packages and what Debian members have to say in real-time and systemd would be better to have been tested before being introduced as the next stable Debian system.

BUT! Tomorrow I rescue an old headless Proxmox box, running wheezy, and
I'm going to upgrade it to Jessie AND systemd and report back if it
catches fire or not. Heh, we shall see what we shall see. And, it was
running about 5 containers, including WordPress and MyCloud. That will
be a good test.  :) Ric

I wish you success. :)
--
Jimmy Johnson

PCLinuxOS 2014 - KDE 4.13.3 - AMD64 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263