Re: GR proposed re: choice of init systems

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 18:52:32 -0700
Jimmy Johnson <field.engineer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/17/2014 07:54 AM, Rusi Mody wrote:
> > On Friday, October 17, 2014 8:00:02 PM UTC+5:30, Rob Owens wrote:

The perfect is the enemy of the good. The GR is good enough for the
time being. We're proceeding with a two prong plan:

1) The GR might cause init program choice.
2) Several of us are documenting, and creating, systemd-free software.

I think at this point insisting on systemd being declared non-default
might risk the success of #1. If they vote "no" on the GR, then I think
that unless Red Hat succeeds in systemdizing X itself, we'll (meaning
those of us who care) will replace systemd-contaminated software with
init-agnostic software. And for sure, boycott all systemd-dependent
software to the best of our ability.

The GR is good thing because one of two things will become obvious in
the coming years. Either:

A. We were right all along, Linux is being destroyed, and because we've
  maintained init choice, we can dump systemd and the corporation that
  tried to destory Linux.

B. They were right, the world goes on, and systemd is a nonissue.

I think within three or four years we'll know which of the above is
true. If it's A, we'll take Linux back from Red Hat, and with any luck
cause the demise of Red Hat via competition of a superior OS. If it's
B, we won't even let out a wimper if, in 2018, they finally declare
systemd as the one true init.

I just don't want to do anything that jeopardizes the chances of the GR
voting for choice.

SteveT