Re: GR proposed re: choice of init systems

On 10/17/2014 10:12 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 21:59:44 -0700
Jimmy Johnson <field.engineer@gmail.com> wrote:

On 10/17/2014 08:44 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
On 10/17/2014 10:22 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

What's the hurry, Squeeze is good until 2016, we have plenty of
time to test other init-systems.

You use KDE. Where you there when KDE3 became KDE4 and broke our
hearts? What a flame fest that was. Yet, you use it now? Ah! Time
must have finally smoothed the rough edges. Yet, KDE4 happened no
matter what any of us had to say, and I was royally jerked about
it. Gnome went through the very same cycle. So did Ubuntu with all
of the lens (IMHO) junk. Every one of those projects were driven
top-down. We users just got pulled along.

Yes! I was at the KDE4 release at Google what fun..I also helped with
Trinity, Linux is about diversity and Debian has always been the
leader.

Whoa guys, slow down on the generalizations. Don't assume everyone uses
KDE4. Two years ago I kicked KDE, in its entirety, libraries and all,
off all my computers. It's an entangled monolith and a danger to
computing. The time might come when I need to do the same with Gnome.
Don't assume that users just bend over and take this entangled junk.

Debian KDE4 has been manageable, nothing but a bunch of meta-packages remove what you don't need and then use 'aptitude keep-all' to keep the app's and then 'upgrade-system' to cleanup the crud. Some of the best minds use KDE. ;)
--
Jimmy Johnson

PCLinuxOS 2014 - KDE 4.13.3 - AMD64 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263