Re: GR proposed re: choice of init systems

On 10/18/2014 12:59 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

/snip/

> I think that depends on what solution you propose, smart people listen.

AMEN!

>> I can say that I long ago upgraded to Jessie/systemd so that I could be
>> the first to yell about it. I'm still looking at a 4 monitor/ 2 video
>> card setup with XFCE and it still works swimmingly well. not even one
>> blip. That is more than I could say back when about the upgrade from
>> KDE3 to KDE4. I cannot tell the difference from when I used systemv from
>> now.

/Snip/

That's not the problem. A few people have recognized the problem(s).
1--Putting all your eggs (programs) in one basket. Making almost
everything have a dependency on systemd. Registry, anyone?
2--Forcing the entire Linux community to use just one system, and every
application to be modified so as to run on systemd.
3--Making all those applications incompatible with any other version of
Unix. Never mind "GNU's not Unix." This stuff we're running is essentially Unix.
4--Eliminating readable logs.

I probably missed a few along the way.

--doug