Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 07:33:38 +0100
Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 01:12:51AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > OK, I'll be the first to admit that after Red Hat caused the demise
> > of ConsoleKit (and probably lots more important software), I am
> > free to take significant time out of my day job (that feeds my
> > family) and rescue all sorts of software that Red Hat deliberately
> > scuttled.
>
> You're being completely ludicrous, Steve. The extent of your sense of
> entitlement is breathtaking.

I've asked for two software changes in my life:

1) Add character styles to LyX
2) Add real ePub export to LyX

Every other need I had, I either wrote software for it, or worked
around it. Several of the softwares I wrote for it I released as Free
Software, one of which is in the Debian repositories right now.

I'm not asking anyone to change Debian. I'm asking them *not* to change
it. Leave well enough alone. It's not too late.

> Here you are on a list dedicated to an OS
> built almost entirely by volunteers and you're not prepared to roll
> your sleeves up, but you're more than happy to tell everyone how they
> should do it, and what they should do.

You used the word ludicrous. I'll tell you what's ludicrous. Implying
that if I don't roll up my sleeve and make alternatives for everything
that systemd welded together, but instead say "don't weld it", I'm
entitled. It took a lot of people to do this damage to Linux, many of
them paid handsomely for their damage: One guy, or even a few guys,
aren't going to undo it.

You state that Linux is built almost entirely by volunteers. Do you have
a reference for that? If the whole OS is anything like the kernel, a
heck of a lot of those volunteers get a paycheck for their volunteerism.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/whos-writing-linux

Then there's this idea that if you're not writing C code, you're not
doing anything for Linux. I'm actually going to write an entire article
on that, but suffice it to say a lot of people have done a lot of
different things to make Linux succeed, and a lot of those things
weren't writing code. And very few of those things have anything to do
with writing systemd related code.

> I'm not going to engage with you any more on this list.

That's your choice. Believe me, I don't like it either, and if there
were any reasonable low maintenance desktop Linux distros, I'd have
simply migrated and wouldn't be on this list. I didn't yell on the
Ubuntu list about Plymouth, I just moved.

The problem is, this systemd thing is a concerted effort to change to
all major distros to what Leonnart Poettering calls "a real OS" and I
call "fewer interchangeable parts". You can't escape it by switching
major desktop distros. The one hope is to keep talking it up on the one
major distro that might have the guts to defy Red Hat.

Actually, I take it all back: I *do* have a sense of entitlement. I
feel entitled to use a reasonable facimile of the same OS that, for
thirteen years, I've used, written about, created software for,
created user groups for, and recruited others to use.

SteveT