Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

On Mi, 15 oct 14, 09:46:47, The Wanderer wrote:

> I suspect that the answer is "they just didn't provide the functionality
> which ConsoleKit, and later systemd-logind, now enable them to provide",
> but I'm not aware - in a clear-understanding, defined-boundaries sense -
> of exactly what that functionality is, or of why it would be necessary
> or otherwise valuable, or of what the problem is which that
> functionality was intended to address.

A problem that ConsoleKit and logind is trying to address is handling
permissions to access devices.

Traditionally on *nix machines this was done with user groups, e.g.
members of 'audio' would have full (read/write) access to all audio
devices and members of 'video' would have full access to video cards or
web-cams.

The problem with this approach is that it's not fine-grained enough,
i.e. it can't distinguish between users logged in locally or via ssh.
This means Mallory could easily spy on Alice remotely, just by being a
member of 'audio' and 'video'.

Hope this explains,
Andrei