Re: Moderated posts?

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 8:18 AM, lee <lee@yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> writes:
>
>> And, in fact, more and more ISPs are just accepting and discarding
>> emails to non-existent users because rejecting such email helps spammers
>> (any non-rejected email must be a valid user).
>
> That's totally retarded.  When I don't get an error message in return,
> the message I sent has been delivered.  If it hasn't because there's
> some error, I will not be responsible for any damage that may hit the
> recipient or myself.  Quietly dropping messages is not an option.

There is a header for requesting automatic confirmation of delivery,
but it tends to be abused by malicious junkmailers (spammers). MUAs
are supposed to be able to disable it, but I haven't seen that option
in an MUA settings dialog for a long time.

This is a grey area of the e-mail standard. People want it to be like
snail-mail, only automatic, but don't realize that having people in
the loop is what provides the desired feature.

I mean, you really can't have certified delivery without someone to certify it.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself.